What it means to be a Mormon
Often misunderstood, but always worth it.
- •First off, I love observing this religion. It brings immense joy to my life.
- •We are Christian.It's literally in the name. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- •Many people think we worship Joseph Smith.While he was the organiser of our religion, we consider him the first prophet since the true gospel was brought back to earth, the first prophet being Adam, the most recent being Thomas S. Monson. That's it.
- •People think we still practice polygamyI know it's an easy joke. It was practiced for five years during a period where men were called into the Mexican-American war, leaving many widows and single mothers, making it helpful for these women to be taken care of by men with the proper means. It was ended just prior to Utah statehood in 1865. There are offshoots that still practice it. They are cults.
- •Speaking of which, we are not a cult.A cult by definition is: An instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
- •Because we live and work in common society, and believe in equal participation in our church, I'd like to think we're above organisations like Manson's and other crazy cults.
- •It's true we don't drink alcohol, smoke, or drink tea.We are taught to eat healthy, and by cutting these out, we stay healthy and obey God.
- •It's not true that we don't dance.You should see some of the singles mixers 👀
- •I love our missionaries.Currently my brother is serving as one. Every young man serves for two years, and any young woman who wants to serves for 18 months. It is a huge sacrifice to leave your life and spend every minute of two years devoted to sharing the gospel with strangers.
- •We know it's annoying that we proselyte.We simply want people to receive the joy we have. We want to share it with all of God's children.
- •We believe the Book of Mormon is divine scripture.We believe it is a companion of the Bible. We believe a prophet named Lehi left Jerusalem prior to its capture and was guided to the new world, where the scripture takes place. I know it's sounds crazy, but if you give it a try, you will find out it feels remarkably similar to the Bible. I believe in it.
- •We practice a volunteer based leadership system.That means we have no payed clergy, but you are asked to serve where you can.
- •I love my religion, and will answer any questions you have. 😘