AN INSIDER'S GUIDE TO MANHATTAN
A lot of people only think of New York City as the place where they shot shows like "Sex & The City" and "Friends," but it's so much more than that. Check out this guide for real travelers who don't want the same old tourist experience.
- •Getting aroundManhattan is a huge city, and it would take you days to walk across it. Luckily, there are tons of taxis that can get you anywhere you want to go quickly and efficiently. Don't rent a car; cabs are how the real New Yorkers get around.
- •Times SquareTimes Square is where the hippest and coolest New Yorkers go to hang out. Once there, you can catch one of the many edgy, underground plays wowing audiences. Don't forget to check out the local eatery Applebee's for some real NYC grub.
- •A great viewFor an amazing view, a lot of tourists check out the Statue of Liberty, but you're not like every tourist! There's a place called the Empire State Building, and if you can sneak by security when you walk in, you'll be able to make your way to a deck where you can see the whole city.
- •Surprise: It's Nature!New York is a real city, but nestled between all the hot dog carts and skyscrapers is a secret spot where you can get your fix of greenery. Check out a little-known gem called Central Park! It's where locals flock to jog, picnic, and play a little Ultimate Frisbee.
- •PizzaNew York is known for its pizza, but you don't want to go just anywhere. The joint where real locals eat is Ray's Pizza. There are only a few dozen locations, so you may have to search a bit, but trust me, it's worth it!
- •30 Rockefeller PlazaYou probably didn't realize it, but the name of the show "30 Rock" was code for an actual real place in the city. Punch the address into your GPS, and check out the home of hits like "SNL," "The Today Show," and "The Meredith Vieira Show."