HOW TO: WRITE A THANK YOU NOTE comprehensively done in 5 sentences.
Gratitude doesn't expire. Someone went through the effort to think of you, extending an act of kindness: a gift, sent a check,offered their expertise, experience and/or time, they shared their home and cooking, or lent a hand to make your life better. Acknowledge that consideration with your thanks. IT IS LITERALLY THE LEAST THAT YOU CAN DO.
- •Thank you notes should be paper, not fancy, but in your own handwriting. If you must do it electronically (because you are a barbaric savage) e-mail not text, full sentences and for the sake of civilization please avoid abbreviations.
- •1. Salutation / greetingDEAR is a winner, conventional HELLO also good. Use the name of the person with the title you would use in life. If you call your neighbor Mrs. Smith to her face she does transform to Margaret in your TY note.
- •2. WHAT ARE YOU THANKING FOR. It's also the place where you identify if they attended a function or not.EXAMPLE: Thank you for sending the beautiful vase for our wedding, we were sorry you couldn't make it.
- •3. WHAT MAKES THE THING SPECIAL. Acknowledge the thought behind the gift.EXAMPLE: It is so generous of you to share your glass making talents with us in celebrating our special day.
- •4. HOW DOES THE GIFT IMPACT YOU THE RECIPIENT. WHY YOU APPRECIATE THE EFFORTEXAMPLE: We noticed that you integrated our wedding colors in the design, highlighting the unique texture of the piece.
- •5. WHAT DOES THE THING MEAN TO YOU, THE RECIPIENT.EXAMPLE: It is very touching that you put your artistry towards commemorating our special day.
- •6. RECAP, REITERATE, CONCLUDE. WRAP IT UP. Rephrase, maybe more specifically, and emphatically. Still about gratitude no need to change focus about other stuff.EXAMPLE: It is a privilege to display the vase you made for us and we are grateful and honored that you did.
- •7. Sign off. And you are done