TOP 5 MOMENTS STUDENTS HAVE BROKEN MY HEART
- 1.When I had an 8 year old student ask me for detergent so he could wash he and his sisters school clothes in the tub.
- 2.When a second grader was curled up underneath a group of desks sobbing because someone had called him gay.As a gay teacher that one was a lot to handle. How do you explain it in a positive light that doesn't overstep what parents might want for their kids to know?
- 3.When I sent home a discipline note with a student and the next day she lifted her shirt to show me her welts to "prove" that she had given the note to her dad.
- 4.When I had two students living in the same homeless shelter, who would come in every morning and want to share their cereal from the food bank with me.
- 5.When I asked one of my biggest behavior issue students who his best friend at school was, and he replied "I don't have friends at school, I have you."
- 6.*** bonus: when in my first two weeks of teaching a kid asked me what to do if they see a gun, and then every student had a story about gun violence.