What I'm learning from this book by Dr. Jane Healt
- •Our culture is sick and our children are getting the diagnosis.
- •"It seems odd that parents have been driven to seek a diagnosis that something is wrong with their children. In the past, such a diagnosis was probably the last thing parents would have wanted." Robert Sternberg
- •"My challenge here is to help you walk the critical line between celebrating each child's uniqueness and taking positive steps to avoid the enduring pain that can accompany too much 'difference'."
- •What looks like a flaw in school sometimes looks like a talent later on.
- •The more inflexible the system, the more kids will find themselves with a label.
- •If things keep going as they are, we'll have more kids in special ed than in regular ed.
- •Estimated that 80-90% of kids in special ed are there because of reading failure.
- •Only 1/5 of students needing specialized services are receiving them.
- •Learning problems are a mismatch between a child and their learning environment.
- •Inform yourself. You don't have to be helpless consumers of other people's opinions and advice about your child.
- •Labeling our children cripples them instead of liberating them. - Dr. Scott Shannon