Up Next in Tech
Amazing things happening every day in tech. I'm listing my favorite stories from this week. Spotlight on cities are changing, politics and transportation.
- •Let's all Build New CitiesY Combinator kicks off a research project for building new, better cities. Also a leaked pitch deck from Google's sister company Sidewalk Labs also details plans for kiosks that monitor everything from air quality to pedestrian traffic. Both efforts are exciting and result in real world changes to how and where we live and work. http://www.recode.net/2016/6/27/12042554/y-combinator-sidewalk-lab-cities
- •Zenefits cuts its own valuationIn the wake of regulatory violations, the employee benefits and payroll provider's CEO decided to lower price of the stock of the last round of financing – effectively doubling investors ownership of the company. They also structured the "deal" in a way that would minimize dilution of existing employee stock. http://www.cnet.com/news/zenefits-takes-a-hit-to-please-investors/
- •Hillary Clinton Proposes Tech InitiativesClinton outlined her ideas on tech policy. It covers a wide range of topics from privacy and government efficiency to Stem education and access to capital for underrepresented tech founders. FWIW I'd be equally interested to see Trump's proposal. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2016/06/27/hillary-clintons-initiative-on-technology-innovation/
- •Autonomous Car DeathTesla unfortunately announced the death of one of their drivers while the drive was in autonomous mode. This is the first reported fatality of someone in a self driving car. Tesla gave an explanation of the incident and partial explanation of why it happened, but (fairly or unfairly) this will resurface some concerns about safety. https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss
- •Zoox raises at $1B valuation...while safety will come to the forefront it doesn't slow investor interest in autonomous vehicles. Also announced was a $200M investment in the self driving taxi company Zoox. They plan on rethink the car from the ground up. https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/30/zoox-raises-200-million-at-1-billion-valuation-for-its-self-driving-cars/
- •Long Read :: A Rebirth of the City-StateThought provoking article about how cities are on track evolve to something we have seen before... https://howwegettonext.com/the-rebirth-of-the-city-state-1d005f7c4eb7#.fa6cnp6mz