Already on li.st? Open in app.
- •Scenes from a MarriageThe miniseries version. Directed by Ingmar Bergman.
- •Eyes Wide ShutBased on Arthur Schnitzler's Traumnovelle. Directed by Stanley Kubrick.
- •Force MajeureDirected by Ruben Östlund.
Made some adjustments to my initial ranking.
- 20.What We Do in the Shadows
- 19.The Martian
- 18.Bridge of Spies
Only nine. I will try to do better this year.
- •"Nietzsche on Morality" by Brian LeiterThe best piece of scholarship on Nietzsche that I have read. Roots his thinking clearly in the naturalist tradition and rescues him from the post-modernists.
- •"On the Genealogy of Morality" by Friedrich NietzscheA classic work in philosophy and psychology. Read (for the second time) in conjunction with Brian Leiter's book.
- •"What Art Is" by Arthur DantoThe final work from the late philosopher of art. I don't see eye to eye with him on many of the topics discussed, but the book is still worth reading.
Too many shows!
- •Agent CarterSeason 2
- •The X-FilesSeason 10
- •VinylSeason 1
This leans pretty heavily vegan.
- 10.Apple Cider Donut Ice Cream from FoMu (Allston and Jamaica Plain)I love all of the great flavors offered at this wonderful dairy free ice cream shop, but this seasonal offering was the standout for me this past year.
- 9.Ginger Tofu from My Thai Vegan Cafe (Chinatown)This is my go-to dish at many Thai and Vietnamese restaurants, but I'm partial to My Thai's version.
- 8.Seoul Style Bowl from Whole Heart Provisions (Allston)The signature bowls from this new vegan restaurant offer a plethora of great flavor and texture combinations. The Seoul Style Bowl includes bulgogi style beets, carrot and radish kimchi, Korean black beans, edamame, sesame, crispy lentils, and creamy gochujang dressing.
Sure to liven up any Halloween party (well, probably not, unless you're a Bowie fan). Arranged chronologically, which is one of the best ways to arrange a Bowie mix.
- 1.Please Mr. GravediggerA novelty song from Bowie's self-titled first album. Reminds me of the X-Files episode "Irresistible."
- 2.All the MadmenFrom THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD (which also includes the Lovecraftian "The Supermen").
- 3.Future Legend
Here are my ten favorite episodes from the first half of the series. They are arranged by original air date.
- •IceSeason 1, Episode 8. November 5, 1993. Written by Glen Morgan & James Wong. Directed by David Nutter.
- •Beyond the SeaSeason 1, Episode 13. January 7, 1994. Written by Glen Morgan & James Wong. Directed by David Nutter.
- •Red MuseumSeason 2, Episode 10. December 9, 1994. Written by Chris Carter. Directed by Win Phelps.
- •Interview with Umberto Eco: "We Like Lists Because We Don't Want to Die"By Susanne Beyer and Lothar Gorris for Spiegel: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/spiegel-interview-with-umberto-eco-we-like-lists-because-we-don-t-want-to-die-a-659577.html
- •The Meaning of ListsBy yours truly for Quaeritur: http://aposocco.com/2012/03/17/the-meaning-of-lists/
- •Listomania!By Michael Atkinson for BFI: http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/listomania
For Halloween, here is a list of twenty, ranked alphabetically.
- •AlienRidley Scott (1979)
- •The BabadookJennifer Kent (2014)
- •The Black CatEdgar G. Ulmer (1934)
If I limit myself to active musicians:
- 1.David Bowie
- 2.Lana Del Rey
- 3.Kanye West