17 TIPS IF YOU WANT TO BE A PROFESSIONAL WRITER
I've managed to make a living as a writer for the last seven years. I've written cover stories about Kobe Bryant and written copy about sweatshirts. Here is what you need to know.
- •Writing is rewriting
- •Writing IS rewr
- •Passion projects are rewarding, but money is a reward.
- •Practice can get you to Carnegie Hall, but it won't pay your rent.
- •Everyone learns how to write in school.
- •If you work in digital, take screenshots of your work. Portals rebrand and go belly up. Your work WILL get erased.
- •If you're doing it right, your daily routine can feel like you're doing time in prison. Read. Write. Exercise. Repeat.
- •A hot shower cures all.
- •Research is important, but distracting.
- •Proper transcription skills separates the good from the great.
- •Fewer words, greater skill.
- •Editors can feel like the enemy, but they mean well.
- •"Why this, why now" when pitching an idea.
- •Think of the "five word headline" and that will tell you if you're onto something that will draw traffic.
- •Yes, Facebook "likes" matter.
- •Writing is...