What We Mean When We Say "Who Won the Sportsball Game?"
Saw a lot of good backlash to this not nice joke yesterday and I wanted to weigh in.
- •"I'm minimizing your interests."
- •"I'm putting on a show to prove my superiority to the culture at large. I'm trying to create a counterculture of rudeness."
- •"Embrace my abrasiveness."
- •Because it is completely fine to not care about sports, or cultural sporting events like the Super Bowl.
- •It's also beyond fine to not WANT to care about them.
- •But belittling them as "Sportsball" and the like is simply attacking the enjoyment of others because you want them to come to their senses and "realize" sports are inane.
- •Sports are my career.
- •People have watched and enjoyed sports since the ancient Olympiad (and surely before that!!)
- •Sports are peak athletic achievement and the best of human evolution.
- •If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't loudly and publicly declare that you didn't care.
- •Thank you.