Curiosities of My Hometown
Requested by @helytimes. Bay Shore, NY
- •Bay Shore. Two words. There was once an investigative journalism piece on a NY news station about the ubiquitous and wrong "Bayshore." It was a long piece. The conclusion was it's officially two words.
- •Home of Mario Puzo in his retirement
- •Home of the Tensabarrier. You know those crowd control ropes you see in every line from airports to concerts? Look down at the logo. Those are made in Bay Shore.
- •Home of Entenmann's. The original factory and Entenmann's mansion are in Bay Shore. This year, the factory closed and a lot of people lost their jobs. As a child, I always had access to pies, cakes, and cookies not released in the rest of the country.
- •One of the original Survivor castmembers was from our town. Big year for us.
- •"It's where you take the ferry to get to Fire Island." This is how I explain Bay Shore to anyone living in Manhattan.
- •New York State girls' softball champs 2001. Not on the team, but still very proud.