STORIES I TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF MY WRIST TATTOO
It gets kind of boring telling the same story over and over to people asking what my tattoo means, so I've concocted a few explanations to mix it up a bit.
- •First things first, here's a pic of the tattoo in question
- •Homage to Snail MailBack in the good ol days of the Pony Express, horns like the one I've got tattooed were used to announce the arrival of a mail carrier. I like to try to convince people that I'm so nostalgic for the days of physical letters that I got this tattoo. I am actually pretty nostalgic about letters- anyone want a pen pal?
- •Family CrestFor this one, I say my family has a storied history of bugling in various wars dating back to the French and Indian War. To maintain a connection to this past, we've adopted this image as our family crest.
- •Band GeekSo I actually did play trumpet throughout high school and that sliver of truth makes this one quite convincing. I explain that I loved my time playing and wanted to commemorate it with a tattoo.
- •Heir to the Harmon Mute FortuneHere's a picture of a Harmon mute. I only know what these are because of my jazz band days. As you can see, the horn in the tattoo has a mute in the bell. I like so say my great grandfather invented the Harmon mute and I got the tattoo to honor his memory.
- •The Truth???I'm a member of the Trystero. (From Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49)