THE SONGS I SHAZAMED IN 2016 & WHY
2nd annual list. 13 songs both years! Mostly, I furiously listened to the horrible din of election coverage, but I heard enough music to Shazam some jams for various reasons (which I will share to the full degree my Trump-fried memory of 2016 permits). In order of Shazamming:
- 1.We Used To Wait - Arcade Fire (216,000 Shazams) • Jan 1, 1:04amOn NYE, 2015, our Uber driver was crankin music from his phone, as we rolled down Sunset, away from The Chateau. I have a pal in AF - whom I made, not even realizing they were in a band. Sometimes, I think I should try to know more of their songs. I could tell the song was them - so I Shazamed. Now, I also know the video is a car rolling down streets in the dark. Maybe our driver was imagining he was in the video.
- 2.I Don't Think She Cares - White Reaper (534 Shazams) • Jan 7, 12:48amI was at Hyperion Tavern with my buddy, and a song came on that we’d never heard, but both liked - then it became clear that we were hearing more from the same album - and I liked them all. At some point I Shazamed. The next day, I bought this lil Texas band’s album. I wanted to thank the bartender who was playing it, but he was too busy talking about the band to his coworker. Thanks, dude & Shazam! Recommend!
- 3.The Revenant Theme 2 - Ryuichi Sakamoto (10,000 Shazams) • Jan 9, 1:48pmThe full explanation behind this Shazam is long. The easy part, is that I was watching my friend’s screener of The Revenant last Jan, which led me into a very strange music-theory experiment, and needed to know the name of this track of the score to continue.
- 4.Wooden Ships - Crosby & Stills & Nash (78,000 Shazams) • Jan 15, 9:11amI know just where I was when I Shazamed this from classic rock radio - on a really curvy road (albeit well-known by me). This is probably why there are new cell phone laws being put into place. Anyhow - it seemed like I was hearing a band I should know, but I'm not very familiar with their songs. Also, I like songs about ships & this one is pretty epic. I’d put it in an important part of a film (this is a major indicator of epicness).
- 5.4x4ever - Morgan Dorr (142,000 Shazams) • Mar 27, 1:15amUgh I hate how these ones end up on my list but such is the life of Shazam. This is this stupid song in car commercials & at some point I was like LORD is this a real song/artist or like - some song engineered for this commercial only? WHAT IS GOING ON? So I Shazamed it. It’s a full, terrible song!
- 6.Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton (370,000 Shazams) • May 8, 1:50pmI do NOT remember Shazaming this but you know what? Listening again, I like it. I'd slow dance to this. Probably what I thought the first time. No clue where I heard it. Seems I was in LA & it was Mother's Day. Weird🎉
- 7.You - Candlebox (302,000 Shazams) • Sept 28, 5:28pmUgh another song I wish I didn't have to add 😂 but I was driving thru Mojave on the way to Mammoth & decided to check what came in around there. I heard this and SWORE it was Candlebox even tho I've only heard the one song by them we've al heard 'Far Behind.' Well, I was right. Was it worth it, Alissa?
- 8.Thickfreakness - The Black Keys (47,000 Shazams) • Oct 15, 5:52pmI'm sure I should remember this was the title track from "Thickfreakness," but I didn't & I was scared the song would end and I'd not figure it out. What a relief.
- 9.Electricity - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (171,000 Shazams) • Oct 19, 10:54amUhhh can't remember where I heard this BUT I know it was one of the instrumental breaks & I was scared the end might come before we got to lyrics, or I remembered what it was & I'd go mad! So I Shazamed & was like - ohhh yeah OMG OMD. Whew.
- 10.Between The Sheets - The Isley Brothers (341,000 Shazams) • Nov 9, 1:43amThere is a WAY bitchin synth line (around 3:30) & Shazamed because of that. There's also the line that's sampled in Notorious B.I.G.'s Big Poppa. Never knew it was from this. I cannot believe I Shazamed anything because (check the time/date) I was SHITFACED AND CRYING at Club Tee Gee with my friends having watched the election results
- 11.Notorious Thugs - The Notorious B.I.G. (500,000 Shazams) • Dec 1, 2:01pmAbout to go into the tunnel on Devil's Slide, I turned to this song & was just deciding it was the kind of rapping I should do. I don't know the titles of more than like 3 Notorious B.I.G. songs - had to Shazam. Got it just in time, so that I was able to complete the search later. Gonna be a BIG year for my rap career. Obv some kind of Biggie over/undertone. I could be Tallie?
- 12.Doo Wa Ditty (Blow That Thing) - Zapp (111,000 Shazams) • Dec 8, 6:30pmSaw my friend who's in AF, basically a year after I started this year's list w their band (unbeknownst to them), & they demanded 'hey! Shazam this!' Made me screenshot & text the result - now (hot tip) I see you can text the result as an option from the result page. I feel secretly cranky having other people's Shazams on my list, BUT if you are also on my list: ok. You get 1.
- 13.Animal - Jonas Alaska (160 Shazams) • Dec 22, 6:26pmLast wk I was driving through San Luis Obisbo & remembered there was a station or two around there I like - b/c of the college. I caught the end of this song & was like WOW how don't I know this? I saw the low amount of Shazams & was surprised. Turns out he's Norwegian! At times sounds like he liked the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, & Elliot Smith. He has a cool voice - I bought 6 songs from 3 diff albums
- 14.I made a playlist out of my 2016 Shazamed songs, using YouTube audio vidsI ordered them to flow so well, it's ridiculous.🤗 Must be a combo of me liking certain types of songs & being an AWESOME DJ. 😛 Please consider listening, quickly skipping the ads after 5 seconds if one comes up 😂, & agreeing that my flow is 👌: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb7LCWejJfVEBukoiMiRpIzgVuI0-ekkP (the 4x4 one is DEF like listening to a JEEP commercial, if you know that ad)