Podcasts - the Soundtrack to My Days - in No Particular Order
When I'm doing my makeup. Doing dishes. Driving anywhere. On the subway. Blow-drying my hair (headphones, ladies!)...all the time.
- •WTF with Marc MaronThe ultimate interview podcast. A comedy insider who will forever feel like an outsider...despite all his successes. Favorite episode: Louis CK...but they're all great.
- •If I Were YouHosted by Jake and Amir of CollegeHumor fame...an advice podcast. I've been listening from the beginning. I've also been a guest on it several times. They are just so funny, and the questions they're asked are incredible.
- •RadiolabHosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich...science-y topics and stories on various themes. I find myself quoting from it and learning from it consistently. I love the way it's produced.
- •Comedy Bang BangSo fun. Scott Aukerman is the host and it's a combination of a lead guest and a bunch of people who come on in characters. Some new, some recurring...so funny. The original "Farts and Procreation" is amazing.
- •You Made it WeirdPete Holmes interviews everyone from Deepak Chopra ("Deepy Chopes," as Pete calls him) to Jon Hamm ("Donny Drapes," as Pete calls him)...his Harris Wittels interview broke my heart when I heard it in November. They're all so long and so great.
- •This American LifeIra Glass hosts...every week there's a theme, and the stories they pull together are just incredible nuggets of existence. Fiasco is one of my favorite episodes. But I truly love them all.
- •How Did This Get MadePaul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas roast terrible movies. I have almost never seen whatever movie they're making fun of, but it still makes me laugh out loud all the time. "Gooby" is one of the movies I HAVE seen, and it's a GREAT episode.
- •NerdistChris Hardwick and his band of brothers interview everyone under the son. So many people, in fact, that they air episodes months after they're recorded. I fall in love with every guest on the show.
- •InvisibiliaA new podcast that aired their first 8-episode season and now is pausing to do more...but well worth it. About the (you guessed it) invisible parts of life. Fascinating, and I hope it continues. Hosted by Lulu Miller and Alix Spiegel.
- •TED Radio HourTakes TED talks and adapts them to an audio-only format. Expands on them and produces them. It's really great.
- •Happy Sad ConfusedJosh Horowitz is on every red carpet and every press junket and thus has incredible relationships with so many amazing actors and actresses. He is an excellent interviewer (I can say that firsthand). Just look at the list of guests! I love what he brings out in his guests. His interview with Kristen Stewart is amazing.
- •SerialI don't have to explain this one.
- •Fresh AirTerry Gross is a fantastic and thoughtful interviewer. I love the subjects they get for this show, and I just love it's depth. I get many book recommendations from this show. I loved Sherry Turkle's interview with Terry from a few years back.