CANDY IS DANDY, BUT SUGAR IS ICKIER
With apologies to Ogden Nash. Inspired by all those Easter candy lists and commenters. Mostly derived from a study published in the journal Circulation.
- •Stop here if you are having a pleasant Saturday afternoon or whatever day and time it might be and don't want that to change.
- •OK, I did warn you.
- •Sugar related illness kills 184k people per year.
- •In the US, 125 people per million adults die annually from illness caused by drinking sugary drinks.Canada: 68 people. Mexico leads with 404 people.
- •A standard can of Coke, Pepsi or 7Up each contain 8 to 9 teaspoons of sugar.
- •In 🇨🇦 we consume 26 teaspoons of sugar a day.According to a 2011 Statscan survey. We are not proud of this.
- •Sugar substitutes are not a solution, as they have their own chemical downside.
- •We can all monitor and reduce sugar intake when it is us adding the sugar to coffee or tea (try it without sugar - you may like it!). It is the prepared, processed, packaged food and drinks that need our attention.
- •Happy eating.