HILLARY IS NOT THE FIRST WOMAN TO RUN FOR US PRESIDENT
Maybe this is why the news services refer to her as the First Woman Nominated by a Major Party to run. I didn't pay attention to this wording until I found out about Victoria Woodhull.
- •Victoria ran for president in the 1872 election.Even though, as a female, she could not have voted for herself.
- •Running for president was probably one of the more mundane aspects of her life.She received guidance from Demosthenes, Napoleon and Josephine. Keep in mind that in 19th century America spiritualism was the Pokemon Go of the time.
- •A tycoon who has having an affair with her sister used Victoria's skills as a medium to help him pick stock market winners.He gave her a cut of the winnings, with which, along with her sister, she opened the first female-owned Wall Street brokerage firm.
- •She was an advocate of free love."I have an inalienable constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can, to change that love every day, if I please."
- •She formed the Equal Rights Party to be the party she represented.Peter Tosh would have been proud.
- •She was held in jail on Election Day.Along with her sister, on charges of obscenity. Not that she could have voted in any case.
- •The 1872 election, which also featured Ulysses Grant and Horace Greeley, was one of the nastiest ones ever.We shall see how 2016 ranks in this regard.
- •This list just scratches the surface. For the full story: Barbara Goldsmith, "Other Powers: the Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull", 1998.