Suggestions for Giving Tuesday - Giving to People Who Are Homeless
If you are looking for a way to give but have limited money and/or time, these are some simple things that are needed and often overlooked for people who are homeless. In The Boston area contact Pine Street Inn, Healthcare for the Homeless, Boston Public Health Commission, Boston Rescue Mission, Rosie's Place, Father Bill's, St Francis House, etc
- •New, warm socks
- •Toiletries - soap, shampoo, deodorant, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair comb or brush, etc.
- •New underwear
- •New Towels - these are often overlooked and greatly needed at shelters.
- •Sturdy duffle bags or back packs - people who are homeless often carry around a good portion of their belongings and their bags get worn out quickly.
- •Pens - you'd be surprised how difficult it can be to find a pen when you need one if you're homeless.
- •Note pads and pocket calendars - being homeless is like having a full time job because of having to wait in line for shelters and meals and often having to keep moving through the day. Keeping track of and coordinating appointments and tasks and such is much easier with a notepad or calendar.
- •Shoelaces - this may sound silly but if your shoelace breaks and you spend most of your day (or night) in the cold or bad weather, a broken shoelace could mean an ill fitting, leaky or worse, lost shoe.
- •Moisturizer and Chapstick for winter and sunscreen for summer.