#1 Thing to Know/do for Various Types of Natural Disasters
- •Know what kinds of disasters might happen in your area.Are earthquakes likely? Could a hurricane reach you?
- •Make sure you have a family plan and practice it.
- •Have an emergency kit ready.You can see a full list in our previous lists!
- •Get certified!Make sure at least one person in your home is First Aid/CPR certified.
- •Know the difference between watches and warnings for various disasters (including tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods)
- •When power outages, floods or other disasters seem imminent (and you don't have to evacuate), stock up on extra supplies such as extra gas containers or water.
- •Have a plan to stay updated. Stayed tuned to local area radio, NOAA radio or TV stations for the latest information and updates.
- •Learn the warning signs of disasters like tornadoes and tsunamis-- use the Red Cross Emergency app as a tool to learn and stay updated.You can find the app in your smartphone's app store by searching "emergency app".
- •Confine pets to one room so that you can find them if you need to evacuate quickly, especially if a wildfire is in your area.