Chinese Philosophy About The Good Life
These are quotes I've highlighted whilst reading the following book:
- •"The Path" By Michael Puett and Christine Gross-LohWhat Chinese Philosophers Can Teach Us About The Good Life.
- •"A good life emerges not from planning it out, but through training ourselves to respond well to small moments." Front Jacket
- •"Every person has equal potential for growth" Page 21Belief held by many philosophers encountered in the book.
- •"All living things have dispositions, or tendencies to respond to things in certain ways... ...Our disposition is to respond emotionally to other people." Page 26
- •"We find ourselves experiencing certain emotions more often than we do others, and our responses then become patterned habits." Page 26
- •"If we are feeling a bit down, taking a moment to say hi to another person can interrupt a cycle of negative emotion." Page 30
- •"If we are greeting someone we've had conflict with, we can share another, more civil side of ourselves and momentarily break the pattern of disagreement" Page 30
- •"Note your patterns and then work actively too shift them... ...Little by little you develop parts of toxic you never knew existed, and you start becoming a better person." Page 43-44
- •"You do not yet understand life -- how could you understand death?" Page 52
- •"Change doesn't happen until people alter their behavior, and they don't alter their behavior unless they start with the small." Page 53
- •More Coming Soon...