How to dance... (for beginners)
Simple steps to get you dancing even if you are not "in the mood." At first it might feel weird, awkward, or just not right. But bear with me, embrace the feeling.
- 1.Bend your knees. (Do it now. Right Now!)Keep them bent around 80% of the time. (Yes, it feels weird, embrace the feeling and go to next step.)
- 2.Now bend your elbows.Keep them bent around 80% of the time. (Yes, you look like a koala, embrace the feeling and continue to the next step)
- 3.Start bouncing. (Rhythmically)If there's music, bounce to a beat of the song. But don't worry about being perfectly in sync with the music.
- 4.Use your biceps, shoulders, or elbows to lead your upper body.Stretch them away from your body and towards wherever you want to go. Then let your body follow your leading body parts. This communicates to your body and to the people around you what your next move will be. You will have your body and everyone around you dancing in sync with the music.
- 5.Use your thighs or knees to lead your steps:When you are walking or moving across the dance floor, move your thighs and knees towards where you want to go and let the rest of your body follow.
- 6.Social dancing: Let your arms act as doors.To block people from dancing with you, use your arms to cover the area right in front of your chest area. To invite people to dance with you, dance with your arms open and puff your chest out. (Think of your arms as a bird's wings, when you want people to dance with you, open them as a bird would when he's flying. If you don't want people to dance with you, close them as a bird would when standing still)
- 7.Dance On!