Already on li.st? Open in app.
REALLY HARD FOR ME TO NOT INCLUDE FOOD TODAY
- 1.Watching the "Turkey in a Can" Bob's Burgers episodeI had a cataclysmically awful evening, so, like any other rational person, turned to Netflix as an emotional crutch. Bob's Burgers is perfect for this, because they're 1) Short enough episodes that you don't feel trapped when you start one 2) Cheerful enough that it actually lightens the mood and 3) Stupidly funny enough that it's an instant distraction
- 2.Having a friend come over to chill w/ me, and do nothing but sleep in my bed for three hoursOne of the best parts of college friendships is how effortless they are. Want to grab dinner? Sure. Want to drink wine and watch Netflix? Perfect. Wanna take a nap? 👍🏽
- 3.Listening to "Swimming Pools" by Kendrick LamarOne of my favorite albums of all time. Been listening to it off and on for the past three years and it has yet to get old, and today was no exception.
My sleep schedule is a wreck.
- 1.The smell of rain in the morningWe're at that point in the season where rain is a guaranteed daily occurrence. Today it rained shirt enough that I didn't have to get wet on my walk to class, long enough that it actually cooled down, and heavy enough that it smelled like summer.
- 2.Listening to this Ira Glass quoteI've seen this video maybe 373738 times and it never fails to encourage me when I'm feeling low or discouraged in my work. https://youtu.be/3ResTHKVxf4
- 3.This Humans of New York postI've been especially needy lately for reminders of human resilience. This was perfectly timed. https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork/posts/1288781524529278:0
It's late and I should be asleep and it's technically June 30th already but day 5 leggo...
- 1.Watching the Amy Schumer / Lin-Manuel Miranda sketch from Inside Amy SchumerI've never seen this before and it's too short but it made me laugh out loud so it made the list http://www.cc.com/video-clips/b3dce7/inside-amy-schumer-betsy-ross
- 2.Listening to Bharatanatyam music on SpotifyI learned bharatanatyam for 11 years, and was randomly feeling super nostalgic for it. I love that Spotify has so much music available, that I can find my varnam on it.
- 3.Cleaning my roomI was feeling very stressed out and decided to clean up my room a little bit — nothing major. But going to sleep in a room without laundry all over the floor and a bathroom that now has the satisfying smell of cleaning products has made me a little less stressed.
It was actually easy to think of things today woooo~
- •Playing in an orchestraI haven't played in any kind of legitimate ensemble since eight grade, and on a whim decided to join orchestra for the summer semester. I loved it so much, and realized how much I was missing it. Just the sound of everyone tuning at the start of rehearsal and the resonance of all of the instruments felt like home.
- •Noticing this tiny rainbow on my walk home
- •Watching the original "21 Chump Street" for the first timeI randomly found it because I was looking up Anthony Ramos (Hamilton obsession still going strong ✊🏽) and his character is adorable, and the way they portray high school naïveté and stupidity is so cute, it brought a smile to my face.
Day three. Today wasn't a great day so this was harder to complete 🙃
- 1.Finishing a great runI'm trying to finish a 10k trainer app, and a new route this morning made today's interval training actually really enjoyable. Running past open fields and cows and seeing the sun rise — it's picturesque and feels unreal.
- 2.Today's SCOTUS abortion ruling
- 3.Actually learning cool shizz in biochemI spent the past three years complaining about how general and organic chemistry was a pain and didn't feel applicable to what I was actually interested in. But biochem this semester is legitimately really interesting and I always have at least one moment of awe during lecture when I'm reminded of the bajillions of intricate processes my body has to regulate just to keep me alive.
Day two, let's go!
- 1.Daveed Diggs saying "*gasp* Daddy's calling" in Cabinet Battle #2Yes, I'm still obsessing over Hamilton. No, I'm not sorry. I drove five hours today to get back to school, and I listened to the whole soundtrack, once again. I can't sing, so, of course, I belted out the whole musical from the privacy of my car where no one had to hear me try (and fail) to rap all of "Guns and Ships"
- 2.Having freshly washed pillowcasesSometimes, it's the small things. Today, it's having bedding that smells like detergent and home.
- 3.Coming back to school with motivation"Feeling motivated" is a fleeting thing for me, because stress or anxiety is what usually gets me through studying and exams and papers. When I am motivated, I cling to it for as long as I can and try to remember the visceral feeling so I can call on it to power me through hectic times.
My first list, and also (hopefully) a daily exercise in gratitude.
- 1.Waking up to a tweet by Asma KhalidI've looked up to so many journalists for so long, that any kind of interaction is exciting to me. Especially because this was a response to the horrible vitriol Khalid has to deal with being Muslim and a reporter covering the election, solidarity with other women of color makes me so happy.
- 2.Going for a long walk with my momI have to go back to school tomorrow. Even though I'm stressed about the second half of the summer semester (and an upcoming physics exam) it was nice to take a momentary break from it all and spend it with my mom.
- 3.The "In the Heights" soundtrackI've become obsessed with Hamilton, so I decided to listen to Lin-Manuel Miranda's older stuff and "In the Heights" is such an upbeat, cheery cast album. Also made me think about the immigrant experience that everyone has in common. The song "Breathe" made me cry, that's how much I identified with it.