TEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THE SOUTH
So this one was hard for me cuz I left the South as soon as I could and I never truly felt safe there. But it was nice to look at the things I liked/loved. Here is my attempt at 10. Now everything below can be argued and qualified and trust me I probably did so while composing this. But I try to be objective and fair!
- •1) People say Ma'am, Sir, Miss and Mr. Call me old fashioned but in my culture (Indian/Desi) all elders are treated with respect. I enjoy that that aspect is reflected in the way we address strangers.
- •2) An unapologetic love of sport.
- •3) The vibe in the South is much more laid back. It's too damn hot and humid to rush anywhere.
- •4) Community is incredibly important. Those communities are often ill-defined and the parameters required to be a part of a community can be antiquated, limiting, and offensive. But there is a deep understanding of the concept of community that I appreciate.
- •5) Barbeque... Need I say more?
- •6) The accent is fun to do.
- •7) There is a lot of natural beauty in the South that is different from other areas of the country. Swamplands and Alligators. There used to be alligators living in a little pond near where I grew up. Manatees made their home where I lived. White sand beaches.
- •8) The water at most beaches in the South is warm enough to go into without a wetsuit.
- •9) The word y'all. I don't know I just love it and love saying it.