SWEET POTATO HASH W/CHORIZO AND A FRIED EGG
I made this and it tastes good. I love cooking for people. I can't cook for all of you, but I can share the recipe. WARNING: I don't really cook from recipes, so these measurements are my best guesses. Play with the directions, taste things, see what works for you.
- •Ingredients1 pound of spicy Italian sausage OR chorizo (I made my own chorizo, but it’s not much different than store bought) 1/4 of 1 large yellow onion (chopped) 2 med cloves of garlic (chopped) 2 medium sweet potatoes 1 tbsp of black pepper 2 tsp of kosher salt 1 tsp of cinnamon 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp butter 1/3 cup milk 2 eggs
- •Step 1Wash your sweet potatoes and chop into small chunks. You can peel yours if you want, but I don’t.
- •Step 2Put your sweet potato chunks into a pot, cover with cold water, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt. Once it comes to a boil, let it be for 10-15 minutes (or until a knife slides easily through the thickest chunk of sweet potato).
- •Step 3Heat a large saucepan to medium high, add two tbsp of olive oil, then add your chopped onions and garlic. While that’s cooking, mash your sausage into four medium patties (you will probably have leftovers, so wrap them in plastic wrap for ready to go sausage patties for your next meal). When your onions are translucent, move the pile to the side of the pan. Lay your sausage patties in the pan.
- •Step 4By now, your potatoes should be done. Go ahead and drain them in a colander and let them sit for a while. Turn off the burner, and add your butter to the now empty pot. Once this the butter is melted, pour your sweet potatoes back in, add milk, then mash with a fork until creamier, but still slightly chunky.
- •Step 5Flip your sausages until their slightly browned on either side, then use a metal spatula, fork, or knife, to chop into small pieces. As you do this, move your onions and garlic from the side of the pan back into the middle. Once everything is browned, move it all to the side of the pan again.
- •Step 6Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan. Use your spatula to spoon mounds of sweet potato into the pan, and top with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Let the mounds warm and slightly brown (less than 1 1/2 minutes on either side or you’ll burn your potatoes!)
- •Step 7Spoon your potatoes into two bowls, then use your spatula to scoop the sausage, onions, and garlic on top. While those are sitting on the counter, crack two eggs into the still sizzling pan until over-medium. Turn down the heat, remove the eggs, and place on top of your chorizo.