COOL PLACES FOR ANIMAL LOVERS IN JAPAN
- •Takasakiyama aka Monkey Mountain (Beppu)There are plenty of monkey hotspots in Japan. This monkey mountain in Oita prefecture lets you get close enough to kick them, though I don't recommend doing that.
- •Cat CafesCat cafes are all over Japan so addicts can pretty much get a fur fix anywhere.
- •Ainoshima aka Cat Island (Fukuoka)If a cafe isn't enough for you, find one of Japan's many Cat Islands.
- •Okunoshima aka Bunny Island (Hiroshima)You can make friends on Okunoshima, but bribery is a must. Bring plenty of veggies.
- •Owl Cafe (Fukuoka)If cats aren't your thing or getting your eyes pecked out is. [Kidding. No one's lost an eye. That I know of.]
- •Nara Park (Nara)This park has hundreds of free deer. You can buy food for them, but watch out. They are basically the before divas from a Snickers commercial.
- •Art Aquarium (Tokyo + traveling)This art show is made entirely of live fish because why not? I especially recommend the Night Aquarium which amps things up with alcohol and a DJ.
- •The StreetOn any given day in Japan, I know that I could find myself walking past a baby carriage of cats or a dog with sunglasses. It's best not to ask questions.
- •Whale Watching (Zamami Island, Okinawa)Just like my pickup lines, the crew on Zamami has a 95% success rate for hooking up with humpbacks.