Greatest Open Mic Mishaps to Date
Some of the most painful moments from the dark side of open mics (**indicates my own follies)
- •**Trying to open a set with a "that's what she said" joke.Apparently she didn't say anything particularly funny.
- •Ending a bombed set with with a graphic 9/11 joke two weeks in a row.He took 2 months off after this.
- •Doing a full 6 minutes on Tuesday night about the Sunday morning shooting in Orlando.It was a benefit show for the OrlandoFund. The crowd involuntarily hissed after punchlines.
- •**Telling the room full of comedians you're one of the best in town when it's your 5th time on stage.For some reason the crowd was really unresponsive that night.
- •Stare straight at the only black person in the crowd while explaining that Air Bud should have been a black lab.Can't believe she left after his set! It was the first comic up that night.
- •Give a first timer sound advice, set up your DSLR on a nice tripod, and bomb hard as hell.He gave me advice, then taught me a real lesson; never listen to that guy.
- •Perform your first set AFTER a group of best friend comedians spends 3 hours roasting the best performer in town for his growing away party.He certainly did not kill.
- •**Perform in the 23rd of 24 slots in a Tuesday night open micIt was well into Wednesday morning before I took the stage to a crowd of the host and #24.