TOP (NON-DOC) MUSIC MOVIES
We're hosting a script-to-screen with Craig Brewer this week, which has us thinking about our favorite movies about music. Learn more about our event with Craig at http://goo.gl/AeEptR and add your suggestions to our list!
- •Hustle and FlowCraig Brewer's gritty drama about doing everything you can to follow your dream. If that dream happens to include winning the first Academy Award® ever awarded to a rap song, then mission accomplished.
- •24 Hour Party PeopleA genre blending look at Manchester's punk-to-rave music scene with brilliant fourth-wall-breaking narration by Steve Coogan's career defining role as Tony Wilson.
- •Almost FamousA love letter to rock-and-roll with hearts over the i's and glitter in the envelope.
- •High FidelityA movie. About music. Filled with opinionated lists. #meta
- •This is Spinal TapA 'mockumentary' in c-minor, the cleverest of all keys, turned up to 11.
- •Straigh Outta ComptonNostalgia with attitude
- •Great World of SoundIndie filmmaker Craig Zobel's pitch-black comedy about the predatory practice of songs sharking.
- •WhiplashJK Simmon's performance is a 'rush'! Miles Teller getting beat like a...err...drum is a 'drag.'
- •ControlControl's beautiful black-and-white cinematography is emblematic of the film's musical subject: Joy Division
- •Inside Llewyn DavisInside Llewyn Davis' beautiful muted-sepia-tone is emblematic of the film's musical subject: 70's NYC folk music. And cat people.
- •Purple RainSuggested by @loriatx
- •AmadeusSuggested by @shanaz
- •OnceA movie that's all about two strangers making beautiful music together (literally, not metaphorically)Suggested by @jb_piper
- •Brassed OffA beautiful, gritty movie about a group of miners who lose their jobs but still manage to keep their band alive.Suggested by @moonjockey