THINGS THAT ARE SO MUCH WORSE THAN I EVER IMAGINED
Thanks @lenadunham for this list idea, which so perfectly matches my mood.
- •Sitting in your kid's principal's officeSo many emotions. Shame, humiliation, a deep sense of failure. All complicated by a protective urge that makes you want to grab your baby and run. And then there's anger at the kid who did WHAT???
- •Internet hateThis hurts every bit as much as @lenadunham says it does. Part of you rises above, laughs it off. But then the little self-hating toxic voice feeds on this kind of thing. This is why I never ever google myself.
- •Abortion due to genetic abnormalitiesI am adamantly, even furiously pro-choice. I'd had an abortion before this happened and felt maybe the tiniest bit of regret but mostly a shit ton of relief. And yet this experience laid waste to me. I felt like I'd murdered my child. The good news is that the misery does pass and eventually this experience faded to something sad but not crippling.
- •Aches and pains past 40I've always been pretty healthy and have tons of energy. I guess I figured that I'd chug on happy and healthy until I keeled over at age 97. I didn't expect knees to ache and weird shit like frozen shoulder.
- •Morning sicknessWhat. The. Fuck????
- •Having a script you love get dumpedI'm a grown up. And a professional. I've written a dozen books. I've gotten great reviews and pans and have been pretty much sanguine about it all. But when Michael (my husband) and I wrote a script (actually 2) for HBO for a series called Hobgoblin, I fell so totally in love with the project that it broke my heart when they passed on it.
- •AlzheimersMy dad. I don't have anything profound to say about this other than that it's lunacy that we work so hard to keep our bodies alive long after our brains.