TO QUIT TWITTER OR NOT?
In the face of the predictable hate-spewing I'm trying to decide if I should quit Twitter.
- •It plays on my worst impulses.If you told me that the founders of Twitter got together and said, "let's design a social media platform specifically to prey on Ayelet Waldman's impulsivity and big mouth," I would buy it 💯. I have zero self-control and never realize, for example, that I should resist impulse is to bitch about my book not making the "notable" list. Ie. I'm too much of a fucking moron for Twitter.
- •It's a cesspool of anonymity and thus misogyny.It's like when Obama was first elected. I never really understood, from my position of privilege, the profound depths of American race-hatred.
- •Even though I only have about 14k followers, that tricks my publishers into thinking I have a "following."As the publishing industry dies its sad death, the midlist novelist becomes a dinosaur. I'm terrified that without the illusion of a "following" my publisher won't take a risk on my spiky novels full of "unlikeable" characters.
- •It's fast and easy.I like the list better already, but it's not quick. Also I feel a little anxious because so many of you appear to be effortlessly witty.
- •I've made some good friends. Like actual humans.
- •It's effective for some things.Crowd sourcing sometimes works. Like when I needed some Chinese Yuan to put under my good luck Buddha, I tweeted and met a guy on a corner within an hour. Or when I needed to get through a huge Oakland demonstration to pick up my kid at Hebrew school I plotted my route via Twitter. And the next day when we wanted to JOIN the demonstration we found it bc of Twitter.
- •Help me out, guys. To quit or not?