EMILY'S LIST: THINGS I LEARNED THIS WEEK
Emily Rooney brought her weekly list of fulminations and fixations to Boston Public Radio this week. Here’s what she’s cooked up:
- 1.ISIS Doesn’t like to be called DaeshWhich is good. We all need to start calling it Daesh, I’m already on board with it. It’s actually just an acronym for ‘Dawlat al-Islamiyah f’al-Iraq w Belaad al-Sham’— a pejorative term for something that crushes or tramples. That’s why we should all use it, because they don’t like it.
- 2.UBER delivers flu shotsJim and Margery got their flu shots on the air live this week, courtest of UberHealth. Margery was brave, Jim was a little terrified… you can see all the action in Adam Reilly’s piece on Greater Boston here: http://wgbhnews.org/post/uberhealth-flu-shot-delivered-your-door
- 3.You can record video on a cell phone and transmit it back to HQThis is the coolest thing I learned and saw this week. When I was up in New Hampshire, I saw this new gizmo that all these young women were using, these producers set up a little tripod, a little camera, and it records the footage on the cellphone and transmits it back to their broadcast receive center.
- 4.Pedro Martinez helped sign David OrtizIt was actually Martinez who suggested to Larry Lucchino that the team sign David Ortiz back in 2003. “That’s a good one.” Emily says.
- 5.More Mexican immigrants are leaving the United States than are coming inThis includes undocumented ones. It’s called ‘negative immigration’ and we’ve seen a net loss of more than 140,000 from 2009 to 2014. Here’s the study.
- 6.Ben Carson does not know one iota about the Middle EastI could have guessed this—but I learned officially this week that Ben Carson doesn’t know anything about the Middle East. This doesn’t surprise me. The New York Times reported this week that a top aide said Carson is “struggling to grasp foreign policy.” Yikes.
- 7.Boston stands alone before Turkey DayAccording to Google Maps Boston is the only city in the nation where the Tuesday before Thanksgiving is the worst travel day, not Wednesday.
- 8.Tune in every Friday to hear Emily’s list, and hear the show Mon-Fri from 11-2, online at wgbhnews.org