IF I WERE IN CHARGE: FIVE CHANGES I'D MAKE IN NASCAR DURING THE OFFSEASON
#HotTakes and #EmbracingDebate are great, but drama for drama's sake isn't the greatest payoff. Just a couple ideas here
- •Devise a championship scenario where winning races means something. This is the simplest form of competition - quit making it so convoluted.
- •Establish hard fast weather protocol that's the same for every track - always have a backup plan. Not just for races, but qualifying (which should never take a backseat to practice).
- •Work with your networks to get fair coverage. If it means blanket 1pm start times, so be it. Stand your ground.
- •Let's get rid of double-secret probation and all the crazy scenarios and establish rules that apply to everyone, regardless of Q rating.
- •If you're a full-time Sprint Cup driver, you only get 5 races in Xfinity or Truck series. I realize sponsors need to be happy but if they want the spotlight, pony up the money for the big show.