"Daddy, Am I Somebody?"
My 6 year-old son says to me yesterday, out of the blue while we're cleaning up the beach.
- •😳 Cue inner monologue:OMG I'm not ready for this level of parenting! What could make him ask me this?
- •Was someone mean to him at school?!?
- •Is he questioning whether we love him as much as his brothers?!?!
- •Did I say something to make him have this kind of existential curiosity?!?!Did his mother?!?!
- •Is he debating his self-worth because we had tee-ball practice this afternoon?!?!He missed one time and was way better than last year and I told him that!
- •Did someone say something on the bus to him?!?!
- •OML WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY....?!?
- •Me: "ummmm, wellll uh...."
- •Him: "Because sometimes you and Mommy say 'Somebody went in the pantry and got food without asking.'""And so I think you're talking about me."
- •Then me
- •I told him that it depended on the situation, that sometimes it was him and other times it was one of his brothers.Or something IDK.
- •He can spell now. How are we supposed to talk about him in front of him anymore?!?😄