Musical Confessions/Hot Takes
I'm a forty-ish father of 4. ¯\_(🎶)_/¯
- •I have a large assortment of songs I probably wouldn't want my coworkers or male friends to see on my playlists.Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Britney Spears, Pitbull, boy bands (see below) etc.
- •I don't feel the reverence for The Beatles musical catalogue that others do.There's a few songs I like, the rest is meh.
- •I get a kick out of hearing the lyrics changed on the songs in Kidz Bop.For example - in "Shake It Off," they replace "...with the hella good hair" to "....with the really good hair" - but leave "Oh My God" as is. ?!?!
- •Some of The Beach Boys songs are delightful.Others, the harmonies sound out of tune or something - painful to my ears.
- •N*Sync > NKOTB > Backstreet Boys > 98 DegreesYet I enjoy them all.
- •You can play music too loudly.This is not because of my age, I've always felt that way - at a certain level it overwhelms and distorts.
- •Harry Connick Jr. is an under-appreciated talent, better than any jazz artist you can name.It's a shame most people only know him from American Idol, where he is delightful/funny.
- •How is Tori Kelly not a super-duper mega star?She's got it all - voice, looks, talent... or is the day of the mega-pop star over in today's musical climate that has reduced the radio station influence on pop music/culture down to nothing (my guess/feeling).
- •Adele needs to put out an album every 18-24 months.For us. For me.
- •I slay, on the rare occasion when I karaoke, with "I Will Survive."Standing ovation - every. Time.
- •I only have a few Prince songs that I really like.*ducks* I will say I was really impressed by Bruno Mars tribute at the Grammys.
- •I don't get the praise of Bruce Springsteen or his music.0 appeal for me.
- •I do get the praise of Billy Joel and his music.So it's not any kind of East Coast anti-bias or anything.
- •My mind still starts playing the next song on the album on older songs (pre-digital music).I miss that honestly. Albums had a distinct order and flow. But I also am glad I can pick individual songs and create playlists I don't have skip songs I don't like on; so... a wash?
- •I am not ashamed of my uninhibited man-crush on Justin Timberlake.Can't hide it. Won't hide it.
- •Christmas music should be played from the day after Thanksgiving through December 30 only.No exceptions.