Where I'd Like To Be In 10 Years
Usually 5 years is the standard, but I think with the wide range of ages and life stages of DayLi.sters this could be really interesting. Please long-press on the title and make your own (if so inclined), and add categories as you see fit......
- •RelationshipTurning the corner on my 24th year of marriage, staring down the big 2-5 in March. Wow. 😳 Probably should start saving now for the trip we will want to take to celebrate.
- •FamilyWould like to have 4 teenage boys in my house - (1) 16 and (3) 13. Hopefully all of the Tripocalypse™ will be in the same class. Food bill = 💸💸💸 Hopefully both sets of grandparents are still around (in their mid-70's) but realistically 1 of the 4 will be gone and I'll be tasked with caring for the remaining.
- •CareerDefinitely in the technology industry in some capacity. Some time in the next 10 years I'll have a crossroads decision to make: do I go towards management for more money but more hours/travel/stress, or do I stay an individual contributor with flexibility (or even take less for a local job)? As mentioned in "family" I'll have 4 teenagers who'll be in activities during the week.... 🤔
- •GeographicallyI hope I'm still in Western Michigan, as we built our house 5 years ago with the intent to stay here. My job is flexible but my wife's is very specific so it would take a major (negative) issue for us to move, which I'd prefer not happen. Our only mutually-agreeable destination would be Colorado, but after the nest is empty for sure.
- •Health/AppearanceI'll be shaving my head proactively by 50, as the bald spot continues to grow as I list. Will a grey beard look good on me? We will soon see as the greys advance slowly but surely. I continue to slowly lose weight (18 lbs since last October), and I hope I'll have hit my goal weight and stayed there starting with my next birthday in May. Part of the impetus has been high blood pressure and a family history of heart disease, so I hope by 50 there haven't been any related health issues.
- •Public ServiceI'd like to have taken my family on at least one, ideally more trips to impoverished locations to help in some way. It can be cliche, but I want my kids to get some perspective and I miss helping others beyond my overwhelming current life. I used to volunteer working with the pediatric oncology in-patients at my wife's hospital and that was very rewarding - I'd like to start that up again.
- •FinancialIn 10 years I would hope that we would be on the last 3rd of our mortgage and without any other debt, knowing that college starts in 2 years 😱😱😱😱.
- •VacationWould hope to have been to Europe at least once, skiing a few times with the boys, and possibly to Australia.