17 SIGNS YOU GREW UP IN P.E.I.
P.E.I. is a unique place, to say the least. Growing up on the Island means something different for everyone, but most of us had a few of the following things in common.
- •Milk, cheese, ice cream – wherever we go, there will never be a dairy product quite like ADL to take its place.
- •No holiday season is complete without a detailed schedule of levees to hit on New Years.
- •If you’re lucky enough to be a red-headed Island girl, you’re no stranger to being asked if you’re related to (or even if you are) the fictional character, Anne of Green Gables.
- •"I’m taking ‘The Link’ ‘Over Across’ to see my relatives ‘From away’”: You may have used this sentence.
- •310-30-30: Greco pizza was a fundamental part of your childhood birthday parties.
- •You only trust Boomer Gallant for all your weather related details.
- •Pop cans: You grew up with a fridge full of pop bottles, until you ran out and made the journey across the bridge or on the ferry and stock-piled as many cans as would fit in the car.
- •Seafood: You knew or were related to someone who could get you lobsters and seafood on the cheap.
- •Lobster supper: Fisherman’s Wharf, St. Ann’s and other lobster suppers were crucial summer outings.
- •Beach: Not only have you spent many, many days lying on the beach— you’ve likely spent your fair share of nights sleeping by the moving tide as well. It may physically hurt to part from the sea as an adult.
- •"Who’s your father?”: The question you know is coming upon introduction
- •Tourism: You’ve survived the Island’s yearly doubling population in the summer months.
- •Rainbow Valley: Mrs. Sleepy Owl and the flying saucer gift shop were staples of your school year and a crucial part of your summer.
- •Gold Cup & Saucer, Old Home Week, The Lobster Carnival, The Highland Gathering, CBMF, L’exposition Agricole et le Festival Acadien, PEI International Shellfish Festival: These were all comforting and familiar Island events.
- •"The Island”: There may be other islands in Canada, but you know that nowhere else will ever be THE Island.
- •Potatoes: Everywhere
- •Moonshine: Enough said.