8 GREAT JOHN LENNON QUOTES (ON THE 35TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH)
"l remember where I was that day. I do. I was in a bar and this girl came running in and yelled to everyone 'John Lennon just got shot.' And we all just stood there, silent. We didn't think it could be true. Who would do that?" - my dad telling me where he was 35 years ago today.
- •"I said we (The Beatles) were more popular than Jesus, which is a fact."
- •"The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurrying around chasing dreams, illusions, wars, peace, love, hate, all that ... it's all illusion."
- •"Nobody controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who controls me is me, and that's just barely possible."
- •"I'm cynical about society, politics, newspapers, government. But I'm not cynical about life, love, goodness, death. That's why I really don't want to be labeled a cynic."
- •"They've been trying to knock (The Beatles) down since we began, especially the British press, always saying, 'What are you going to do when the bubble bursts?' That was the in-crowd joke with us. We'd go when we decided, not when some fickle public decided, because we were not a manufactured group. We knew what we were doing."
- •"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"
- •"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people."
- •"You may say that I'm a dreamer/But I'm not the only one/I hope someday you'll join us/And the world will be as one."