My Favorite Female Authors
This is going to be a quick off-the -top of my head list. Some classics and some fun reads. If you asked me tomorrow I might have a different list altogether Thanks @mhawkeyem for the suggestion
- •ColetteLove all her work but esp. SIDO and MY MOTHER'S HOUSE
- •MFK FisherDiscovered her in the early 1980s. Attribute my love of food writing to Fisher. Try anything. Maybe the anthology THE ART OF EATING
- •Jane AustenWell can't not list her. PRIDE & PREJUDICE is my fav
- •Diana GabaldonCause I love Claire & Jamie. Start at the beginning with OUTLANDER
- •Laura Ingalls WilderI read and re-read her Little House books when I was little (long before the TV show) and then later pretty much everything I could find about her life. Start with LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE
- •Alice WalkerBecause her words stick with you long after you finish her books. You've read THE COLOR PURPLE, right?
- •Elizabeth PetersI loved her Peabody / Emerson books. So much fun, esp in audio.
- •Mary RoachFor writing fun, informative nonfiction. My fav is STIFF
- •Cynthia KadohataFor writing stupendous middle grade books. Her themes are tough, but she doesn't dumb down her stories for youngsters. Maybe try WEEDFLOWER
- •Amy StewartFor the same reasons as Roach. But don't miss her fiction debut. Try THE DRUNKEN BOTANIST
- •Thrity UmrigarFor her ability to show that women's issues are universal. And I love her writing. Read it all, but I suggest THE STORY HOUR