SOME OF MY FAVORITE NOVELS
- •Mating, by Norman RushBrilliant, original, and witty. Holds up under multiple re-readings. Novels don't get any better than this.
- •Atonement, by Ian McEwanJust wonderful.
- •The Sparrow, by Mary RussellSo absorbing that I didn't even realize it was considered science fiction.
- •The Bear Comes Home, by Rafi ZaborIt helps if you're interested in jazz.
- •The Stench of Honolulu, by Jack HandeyMany novels are said to be funny. This one really is. A rare achievement and also wonderfully silly.
- •Gone Girl, by Gillian FlynnImpressively intelligent. Far better than Girl on a Train.
- •Mariette in Ectasy, by Ron HansenBrief and beautiful
- •American Pastoral, by Philip RothAlong with The Plot Against America, My Life as a Man, and a number of other Roth novels.