THINGS I LEARNED DURING STUDENT TEACHING.
- •Lessons will probably never go the way you plan them.That could be good or bad! A lot of times, I liked to play off the kids and see where they stood with the material. Other times, the lesson just fell apart. It's all really a learning process and I hope to get better at this and have way less falling apart.
- •Everyone has a different teaching style.I hate raising my voice so my university supervisor seemed to take that as a weakness. He'd tell me to be more stern or tell me that I have no control over the class. He's referring me to classroom management classes, too. This got me mad because I've worked with these kids for 10 weeks and although I let them talk "too much" I felt like they were really engaged and excited which meant more to me than a quiet class just listening to me talk. Different strokes for different folks which is fine.
- •Collaboration is so important!!Become bff's with the other teachers in your grade level. It'll help with planning and just stress overall.
- •Rainy days are insane.Children are insane.
- •Children are the most amazing little humans.They're so sweet. They're so creative. They're full of feelings and emotions. They're so complex. I got super attached to the kids in my class. This is gonna hurt.
- •I've never wanted this more in my life.I already knew this is what I wanted but student teaching really showed me that I'm meant for this. These 10 weeks opened new doors for me and showed me just how bad I want this. I'm willing to put it above all else. I cry as I write this because it all feels right. I've never been so sure of anything in my life.