MAID OF HONOR (MOH) TOAST TIPS
I just survived my first time as maid of honor. I dreaded the toast but it turned out a success. Here's how it worked for me.
- •Open in a way that tells people to lower their expectations, then shock them by being in on the joke."My sister is beautiful, and a huge over-- overac---" *Looks at bride* "i'm having a hard time reading your handwriting" This got a huge laugh, because they thought I forgot my speech during the first sentence.
- •Realize that half of the room doesn't know you....Introduce yo' self
- •...but half of them has known you a while.I mentioned my nickname because very few people call me Christina. And it made it clear to everyone that I'm super laid back.
- •Say something uniqueA memory that was only between you and the couple. Or you and the bride.
- •Say something sweetHonest is better. Don't say "you two are perfect" say "you two were clearly made to spend your lives together."
- •Bring another jokeThis is where I made sure I spoke about the groom too. Because he loves jokes at my expense. It was his turn
- •Now a memory that ties it all together.Do you have any memories of the bride talking about her wedding as a child? Did they want to marry JTT and now they are breaking their vows to him? You know the bride well. So share something here
- •ToastDon't forget to at least say Cheers!
- •Make it short. I covered all bases in a 2 minute speech.I timed it on my voice memo app.
- •PracticeI played the voice memo when I was stuck in traffic to memorize. I ended up using notes just to have backup. But I knew it well
- •Enjoy!Its a party. Enjoy yourself. Screw the speech if its going to ruin your fun