My nightly prayer, deconstructed
I've said the EXACT same prayer since I was two years old. Here's how it came together.
- •Now I lay me down to sleep,You knew it would start here. Its just setting up for a rhyme.
- •I pray the Lord my soul to keep.I think this means that I don't wake up in a Freaky Friday situation? Either way, still the textbook nightly prayer.
- •If I shall die before I wake,Scary every time I say it, I wish there was a happier prayer.
- •I pray the Lord my soul to take.That means I get to go to heaven. So, for most people, that is the full prayer. There's more. Mine's a remix.
- •Lord, please help me be a good little girl,I'm 30, so this should have changed around 22 years ago.
- •Obey my parents,Um, yes. My parents trolled me! They forced me to obey them so much that it needed divine intervention! I have been begging the Lord to make me obey my parents. What if I didn't want to? I didn't know better and now I can't make edits.
- •And please don't let me have any bad dreamsI added this one around second grade. I never asked anyone if I could just Willy Nilly add my own requests. But its a simple request and normally works wonders. Its more instant gratification than all other parts.
- •In the name of Jesus, Amen.