Songs From My Childhood
I was a child of the late 80's but my parents knew the best music was made long before I was born. It turned into a mish-mash. As I told @hillary79, my music memories are mostly black due to my skin forgetting it was supposed to be black too.
- •Dancin in September - Earth Wind and FireI know none of the words. Just "dancin in September" but my parents went to every EW&F reunion concert. Still do. Even if the gang is only Wind now.
- •Motown Philly - Boys II MenThis is a song I never got sick of, it was catchy but not really earworm catchy. We started singing every song to this beat. This is when I got started with song parodies. Lol
- •UnforgettableNat King Cole and Natalie Cole. This will be my father daughter dance at my wedding. I called dibs in 2009 and Dad approves.
- •PoisonBel Biv Devoe - "Never trust a big butt and a smile, that girl is poison!"
- •Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla IceI think I was 4 when this came out, I thought I knew all the lyrics but I guarantee you all I sang/rapped was "Rag top down so my hair can blow" and I thought that was the actual name of a convertible. Ex: "Let's rent a rag top down so our hair can blow!"
- •Jungle Boogie - Kool and the GangThis is funny, there was a song by the rapper Mase, and he sampled the beat from Jungle Boogie. So when Mase would come on the radio, my dad would sing Jungle Boogie over it. Obviously the original is better. Are you starting to see how I got my name?
- •Emotions - Mariah CareyFull disclosure, I was so relieved when I found out she identified as black because we had the same skin and hair. Huge relief to a racially confused kid in 92.
- •Cake - The DistanceMy middle sister had a 30 minute alternative music phase and bought this CD. But it was so good! I like every song, but The Distance is one of the most memorable.
- •Blame it on the Boogie - Jackson 5We listened to a lot of Jackson 5. But this is my jam. Blame it on me!
- •Not Gon Cry - Mary J Blige"Eleven years of sacrifice, besides the kids I have nothin to show. Wasted my years a fool of a wife. I should have left your a** a thousand times" (I would say ask instead of the curse word so I could sing along.)
- •Rappers Delight - Sugarhill GangI knew every lyric to all 14 minutes of this TAPE we used to own. I love clean rap. I've said it before. I like rapping and I like not cussing!
- •TLC - CreepThis was a fun way to realize how different my bf (at the time) and I were. When you talk about the song "Creep" and he thinks you mean Radiohead, and you think he knows it's TLC... You either have a race difference or an age difference. We had both.
- •The Boy is Mine"I'm sorry that you seem to be confused, he belongs to me. That boy is mine." (This was popular around my 6th grade year, so loosely my childhood)
- •MC Hammer - Too LegitThis played at the skating rink during every skate party in my elementary years. It's the best song to roller skate too, because the dance to this song only involves putting up 2 fingers, then making them into a L shape, then making the "cut your throat" move with said hand. Man I had that choreography down pat!
- •Also tons of church songs by Mahalia Jackson. My mom only listens to gospel on Sundays. Still, my sister does it too.My dad, older sister, and I all seem to spend our music listening time catching up on comedy podcasts these days.