Women I Wanted to Be Growing Up
Inspired by @finny_in_space
- •Early 90's Mariah Carey
- •Any Fly Girl from In Living ColorI was in the hospital around age 5 and my parents turned this show on the TV in my hospital room. I hopped off the bed still hooked up to the machines so I could dance along.
- •Lisa TurtleI always knew she deserved better than Screech.
- •Tyra Banks' character on Fresh PrinceShe was sarcastic, super laid back and hot af.
- •Topanga*I convinced myself Danielle Fishel was at least 1/4 black because her lips and nose looked like mine. So I thought I was seeing "myself" represented on screen.
- •Dionne from CluelessBut NEVER Stacey Dash.
- •Dominque Dawes!
- •Vanessa Williams in Dance With MeI really wanted that guy to be played by John Stamos during the whole movie!
- •Representation matters! I preferred to be the token black girl in any instance, even though they were few and far between.It got a bit better, but black people aren't the only minorities. Who are little girls looking up to now? Do they see themselves in media? Before I even knew I was looking for myself on the screen, I was grasping to bits of representation. Let's all do better!😘
- •Thanks @theshome! I forgot!