Great Dead Bars of New York
A work in progress
- •SIBERIA in any of its iterations. The one on the subway being the best
- •LADY ANNES FULL MOON SALOON a bar so nasty I'd bring out of town visitors there just to scare them
- •THE LION'S HEAD old school newspaper hang out
- •KELLY'S on 43rd and Lex. Notable for 25 cent drafts and regularly and reliably serving me when I was 15
- •THE TERMINAL BAR legendary dive across from port authority
- •BILLY'S TOPLESS (later, Billy's Stopless) an atmospheric, working class place, perfect for late afternoon drinking where nobody hustled you for money and everybody knew everybody. Great all-hair metal jukebox . Naked breasts were not really the point.
- •THE BAR AT HAWAII KAI. tucked away in a giant tiki themed nightclub in Times Square with a midget doorman and a floor show. Best place to drop acid EVER.
- •THE NURSERY after hours bar decorated like a pediatrician's office. Only the nursery rhyme characters were punk rockers of the day.