RANKING THE SONGS OF "ILLINOIS" BY SUFJAN STEVENS
Only the songs that are 3 mins or longer... Sorry Mary Todd. Rankings are subjective.
- •Casimir Pulaski DayIf all that was on this album was this song, it would still be one of my favorite albums. Perfect. Beautiful. There should be another holiday, "'Casimir Pulaski Day' Day," to honor this song.
- •The Man of Metropolis Steals Our HeartsTender and rousing. Then tender again, then rousing. How many songs can be described this way? Plus, not a "false note" in it (I don't know what that means but it sounded right in my head)
- •ChicagoThe Moneymaker. I've never been to Chicago, but thanks to this song and Ferris Bueller, my expectations are now impossibly high. Probably shouldn't bother going at this point.
- •Come On! Feel the Illinoise!Oh, I feel it.
- •JacksonvilleConvinced this song could have a life on the radio.
- •The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us!Everything I want in a song: rounds, a strong emotional core, and a reminder not to mess with wasps.
- •Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother!"Stephen A. Douglas was the Great Debater, Abraham Lincoln was the Great Emancipator." So true. "Chicken mobile with your rooster tail." Wait, what?
- •They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhhh!Name a better song with that many exclamation points in the title. You can't, can you? How about a groovier one (with all the exclamation points)?
- •John Wayne Gacy, Jr.So beautiful, so disturbing.
- •The Tallest Man, the Broadest ShouldersA celebration. A very American sounding song. Makes me want to eat baked beans.
- •The Seer's TowerThis song is saved by the beautiful way he sings it's final line. I usually skip the first half. Is that wrong? Fav for yes, Relist for no.
- •Out of Egypt, Into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I RunUmm... the end.