Things I've been asked because I'm deaf
I gotta share some of the ridiculous things I've heard due to my being deaf
- •"Is that a Bluetooth?"If I'm in class, I'm probably not using a Bluetooth.
- •"Do you know sign language, you HAVE to teach me!"I understand that this is a cool thing to know, but I am not obligated to teach you a language simply because I know it.
- •"Have you ever considered getting a cochlear implant? You can get your hearing back!"Just stop. It's wildly inappropriate to ask and for you to assume that I haven't done research on it is blatantly dumb.
- •"You're deaf? I didn't even know!"Ok. Exclaiming your surprise makes it awkward.
- •"Is she deaf? She doesn't even act like it"Apparently someone said this to my friend a few times. How the hell does one act deaf?
- •"What a shame that you have to deal with it so young"Ok.
- •"What am I saying?" Proceeds to mouth wordsThis is not ok.
- •"This is what you should do about your hearing aid..."Please don't tell me what to do with my hearing aid when I already know the problem and solution, whereas you most likely haven't been to an audiologist in years.
- •"My (sibling, friend, etc.) is deaf too!"I understand that this is a way to relate to me, but it's just weird. What am I supposed to say to that?
- •"Oh, I'm basically deaf too hahahaha"Stop. You're not "basically deaf" if you ask "what" a few times. Please don't use this as way to relate to me.
- •"They're signing to each other, you should go sign to them"It's disrespectful for someone to just barge in a conversation so why would I do that to someone just because I understand the language?
- •"Can you hear me now?"Fuck you.