10 Batman Graphic Novels Everyone Should Read
I've amassed quite a few graphic novels and these are the ten I recommend the most.
- 1.Batman: Year OneThe updated origin story of the Batman. The tone of the book gets at socioeconomic ideas and what needs to be done about them.
- 2.Batman: Year 100The year is 2039 and the anomaly Batman is believed to be nothing more than a tall-tale in this future of Gotham... until now. Legends never die!
- 3.Batman: The Dark Knight ReturnsBatman comes out of retirement to show everyone in Gotham that he is a symbol of hope and, more importantly, a change for the better, both of which are possible no matter who you are.
- 4.Batman: The Long HalloweenIn crime-noir style, a murderer named the Holiday killer is conducting crimes on major days of the year and the suspect pool is running thin.
- 5.Batman: VenomA redemption story of Batman who blames himself for never being fast enough, smart enough, and this time, never strong enough.
- 6.Batman: A Death in the FamilyThe pivotal moment in the Batman mythos where readers called in to decide the fate of Robin. The verdict was not too kind and the result was a renaissance of the dark, brooding Batman we saw for the first time sans sidekick.
- 7.Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious EarthThis is a psychological take on the ambiguous insane asylum of Arkham where Batman detains his rogues gallery. Now he has to live it.
- 8.Batman: Gotham Shall Be JudgedA self-proclaimed disciple named Azrael takes matters into his own hands by saving Gotham leaving Batman to stop his holy war.
- 9.Batman: KnightfallIconically known as the Breaking of the Bat, this book tells us the origins of Bane and how he was the first villain to discover Batman's true identity. (Then there's The Death of the Family storyline, but I'll let you see for yourself!)
- 10.Batman: The Killing JokeThe widely known and most accepted origin story of the Joker shows his readers who the Clown Prince of Crime was before and what made him desperate to see a smile on every face.