AWKWARD THINGS PEOPLE SAY TO YOU WHEN YOU HAVE TWINS
Per @jennykoekoe 's request...
- •"Are they identical?"People will ask this even if you have boy/girl twins. Maybe they skipped that day in biology class? I tend to answer with "Well, they might look alike but there is one key part that is definitely not identical."
- •"Double trouble!"Said slowly and with a smirk. Almost always from older men who seemed to think they're being incredibly clever. Is there a handbook of smarmy comments handed out to men when they reach the age of 50? I can't be too annoyed though because these are the same guys that always hold doors open for me and my massive double stroller.
- •"My uncle/sister/neighbor/boyfriend is a twin!"Everyone has a twin story. NONE of them are interesting.
- •"Did you plan to...I mean, was it...um, do twins run in your family?"Everyone wants to know if your twins were a result of IVF (in vitro fertilization) but doesn't know how to ask without sounding rude. Really, just don't ask. No one asks how single babies were conceived...although if that became a normal thing to ask, I bet there'd be some interesting stories...
- •"Wow twins! How do you do it?"I appreciate the sympathy in this comment but I never know how to answer it. How do you do it? You just do! With help from family and friends. And coffee. And wine.