2 MINUTE RULE, OR HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT MEDIUM-RARE STEAK EVERY SINGLE TIME
This is for cuts around 3/4 -1 inch thick. Add a minute or two to the oven time for thicker cuts, especially bone-in, or if you're a monster who likes your steak cooked medium.
- 1.Lay steaks out and cover in salt and pepper. Let them reach room temperature.
- 2.Lightly grease a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil, bacon fat, whatever you have around. Place in oven at 450 degrees and let it heat up for 20ish minutes.
- 3.Everything moves fast from here on out so be ready. Take the pan out and place on a burner on high. Balance the steaks in the pan on their fatty edge to cook off a little fat.
- 4.Rule of 2. Sear the steak on one side for 2 minutes, then flip for 2 minutes. Then place the pan in the oven (still at 450) for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
- 5.Take it out, place steaks on a plate or cutting board, and cover with foil for at least 10 minutes. Not because chefs get all weird about it. This is to finish cooking it.
- 6.You're done. Should be evenly cooked throughout with a nice sear.