12 BEAUTIFULLY PROFOUND QUOTES FROM “TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD”
“I think there’s just one kind of folks. Folks.” Thank you for everything, Harper Lee. RIP.
- •On our common humanity:"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
- •On seeing things differently:"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
- •On taking the high road:"You just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anybody says to you don't you let 'em get your goat. Try fighting with your head for a change."
- •On living in the present:"Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another). There are just some kind of men who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one."
- •On staying true to yourself:"Before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
- •On not taking things for granted:"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."
- •On never giving up:"Real courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."
- •On bravery:"It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived."
- •On the wisdom of children:"When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults."
- •On the goodness of people:"Atticus, he was real nice." "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."
- •On growing up:"There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible."
- •And on innocence:"Mockingbirds don't do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corn cribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."