15 EASY THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT
You don’t have to tackle it all at once.
- •Get a drink of waterYou could be dehydrated! Your body needs water. Not juice, soda, or alcohol – get a tall glass of water and make yourself drink all of it.
- •Make your bedWhen you have a lot to do and it feels overwhelming, making your bed can be the first step in getting your life on track. It will also (hopefully) discourage you from getting back into it.
- •Take a showerLife feels different when you’re clean! And it can give you a burst of energy if you’re feeling lethargic. Wash your hair and give yourself a head massage.
- •Have a snack — not junk food!Did you eat enough today? It’s super tempting to eat junk food when you feel like crap. If you don’t feel like making a whole meal, maybe just a piece of fruit. Something you can burn throughout the day and not in a burst of five minutes.
- •Take a walkYou might need some fresh air and not even know it. Give your body some natural light, breathe some different air, move your legs a little, even if it’s for just five minutes. Allow yourself to think some different thoughts.
- •Change your clothesEven if you aren’t going to leave the house today, put on real clothes. Or, if you’ve been wearing the same uncomfortable clothes all day and feel restless, change into your sleepy clothes and slippers and relax.
- •Change your environmentStaring at the same four walls day after day can be drudging. Can you work from a cafe, a library, or a friend’s house? If you can add going somewhere to the list of things you did today, you may feel more accomplished.
- •Talk to someone, not on the internet – it can be about anythingIf you don’t feel like talking through your troubles, that’s OK. Visit a friend, talk to them about a movie you saw. Call your mom and see how she’s doing.
- •Dance to an upbeat guilty pleasure songNOT ELLIOT SMITH! Pick something high energy and bump it. Dance like a rock star for one song to get your blood pumping again.
- •Get some exerciseDo some cardio, work up a sweat. If you don’t have the time for a whole workout, look up a sun salutation on YouTube and stretch for as long as you have time for. Do some push-ups or sit-ups at your desk.
- •Accomplish something – even if it’s something tinyDo you need to grab some groceries? Schedule a doctor’s appointment? Reply to an email? If you can’t get to the big stuff on your list, focus on the small stuff, and don’t forget to congratulate yourself for getting something done.
- •Hug an animalIf you don’t have a pet, can you visit a friend’s? Or can you go to an animal shelter?
- •Make a “done” list instead of a “to-do” listInstead of overwhelming yourself right now, start feeling better about what you did get done. You can add “brushed teeth,” “washed dishes,” or “picked out an outfit” to your list. It doesn’t matter how small the task, prove to yourself that you’re effectual.
- •Watch a YouTube video that always makes you laughI personally recommend this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igSA8HdR_Q
- •Give yourself permission to feel shittyYou’re allowed to have a shitty day, and you don’t have to fix it all right now. If you try to fix it and it doesn’t work, that doesn’t mean it’s hopeless. Give yourself the time and space you need to feel what you’re feeling.
- •More Mental Health Week coverage at BuzzFeed here: