6 Questions Servers At The Mar-a-Lago Are Probably Sick Of Answering
Working as a server is never easy. Remembering orders and learning to balance plates is already hard, but when you add dealing with customers on top of it all, well, it’s a miracle to come out sane most nights. It’s probably even worse if you’re working for the President at the “Winter White House” and golf rclub: Florida’s famed Mar-a-Lago.
- 1."Can you make me something that’s NOT on the menu?"The menu is here specifically to tell you what food the restaurant offers. If the chef really wanted to make it for you, it would probably already be on the menu now wouldn’t it?
- 2.“Would it be possible to sit somewhere else?”Ugh, there’s one of these every night. The hostess does not seat people randomly and you’re not being sat in the back as punishment. It’s usually based on what sections will get you the best service or whether or not the Secret Service specifically requested it.
- 3.“Can North Korea’s missiles reach California?”Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, you’re carrying a tray full of food and drinks to a table that has been obnoxious when suddenly you overhear the President and his staff asking about North Korea’s testing of ballistic missiles and if they’re capable of reaching a major metropolitan city. Spilt tray, party of one!
- 4.“Can I substitute the grilled chicken for steak?”Sorry, but there’s no way that the market price for grilled chicken is equivalent to that of steak. Also, why are you worrying about chicken and steak right now, the President is twenty feet away talking about possible nuclear war?
- 5.“Do you mind taking a picture of me with the guy that holds the nuclear football?”On any given night, you tend to be running around from table to table like your hair is on fire. The last thing you want to do is stop by the President’s table to snap a picture of a civilian millionaire and the marine that carries around the device used to launch any of America’s 7,700 nuclear warheads, but sometimes you have to just smile through it.
- 6.“Oh my God, are we going to die?”With the way things are going, who knows! However, I can say that if you try the chocolate cake, you will feel like you’ve died and gone to heaven.